Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ghee, Ghee, Ghee

The first time I tried ghee, I didn't care for it much, but now, I feel lost without it. I use it instead of butter or oil for almost everything and feel better for it. Plus it has this slightly...nutty?...flavor that really adds good flavor to pastas and veggies. 

But...what is Ghee? (Besides another cooking ingredient I have a crush on)

Ghee is butter without any solid milk particles or water. It is used for daily cooking in India, South Asia, and my kitchen. Maybe yours too. Most often, I hear Ghee referred to as Clarified Butter, but it is also known as Drawn Butter, Butter Oil, Ghee Butter or Anhydrous Milk Fat (AMF).  

Essentially, Ghee is prepared by melting and simmering unsalted butter until all the water evaporates and the milk solids settle at the bottom. You can try to do this yourself (a task I have yet to completely master) or buy it in most health food stores and/or in the ethnic section of a grocery store (it is gaining in popularity, I would expect to see it become easier and easier to find as time goes on). Traditionally, ghee is extracted from buffalo milk, but I am only familiar with ghee from cows milk (it is yellow in color).That's the route I'd recommend.

I will almost always include ghee in my recipes, but know what olive oil and/or butter can be substituted if ghee just sounds too out there for you. I do encourage everyone to try it though. Why? Well, I could do a poor job of justifying in my own words why I recommend having an affair with ghee, but, it would be a poor job. I instead have opted to use some words from someone who has done it better. Below is an excerpt I found at http://www.nafella.com/naflogger/?Sandeep/What_is_Ghee

The difference between Ghee and Butter
Great for cooking:  Ghee has a very high smoke point (~400 °F) and is considered one of the best oils for baking, sautéing and deep frying.  When you sauté with butter, the milk solids precipitate to the bottom of the pan and they burn to produce a bad smell, appearance and taste.  Ghee does not contain milk solids and it is very stable at high heat.  In fact, ghee gets richer in flavor as you heat it!

Casein and Lactose-Free:  Casein and lactose are removed from butter during the clarification process, making ghee easier to digest.  As such, ghee is suitable for people allergic to dairy or have casein or lactose intolerance.

Shelf Stable: A well-prepared ghee has very little moisture content and it is shelf-stable.  You do not need to refrigerate it for 2-3 months if you keep it in an airtight container.  This makes it suitable to carry while traveling or camping.  When kept in refrigerator, ghee can last up to a year.  Aged ghee is considered to have healing properties.  Some families in India have ghee which is over 100-year old.  Such an old ghee is rare and is very expensive.

Rich Flavor: Ghee has a rich, sweet and deliciously nutty flavor.  A little amount of ghee adds a lot of flavor to the food.  One tablespoon of ghee can replace up to three tablespoons of oil or butter in your recipe.

Alkalizing Effect: Ghee has slightly alkalizing effect on the body whereas butter has a slightly acidifying effect.

Medicinal Usage: A ghee which has been properly washed accordingly to Ayurvedic specifications is very beneficial in healing the skin.  A small amount of ghee applied to belly button nourishes the entire body and is especially helpful is healing dried lips.  Ghee is widely used in Ayurvedic massages and medicines.

So there you have it! In a nutshell. If anything else, at least you'll know what I'm referring to when you see it in recipes now.


No comments:

Post a Comment