Saturday, March 27, 2010

Recipe Dilemma

I have come across a recipe-writers dilemma. You'd think there was only one way of writing down a recipe, but truth is, there are endless variations and subtleties that can (and should) go into the process. Since I am still finding my recipe recording stride I would like to provide you with a little of the "why" behind some of my phrasing. The subtlety I am struggling with most is two pronged:
  1. The way in which ingredients (particularly veggies) are listed in the recipe
  2. To what degree prep work/step by step processes for making the recipe should be included in the little recipe "how to" write up that follows
Let me attempt to explain a little more. In my experience, the average recipe will list ingredients and say things like "1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped," "1/2 onion, diced," or "1 cup large thinly sliced zucchini." In doing this, the recipe writer is essentially telling you what prep work needs to be done to the ingredient before it is ready to be incorporated into the dish. I believe this can be problematic in more ways than one.

First, I believe this wording can be problematic for the new and/or timid cook that does not trust his/herself to, 1) know how many carrots or zucchinis equals one cup and/or, 2) is simply intimidated by the assumption that peeling and chopping and dicing while making a 30 minute meal is nothing to talk about for any averagely decent "cook" (thereby incorrectly reinforcing the idea that he/she "can't cook"). I mean, if just looking at the recipe is overwhelming, forget trying to make it!

Second, this wording can also be a hang-up for the not-so-timid cook (experienced or not) who dives right into the recipe only to forget about all the prep work because they weren't reminded in the directions/how to write up. Then the whole timing of the recipe is thrown off, something burns, or the meal doesn't end up looking like the picture.* I think this is one of the reasons I don't like cooking from cookbooks, I hand over my kitchen savy to the cook book and end up lost. In either scenario, frustration occurs; and, in my opinion, FRUSTRATING is one thing cooking/kitchen work should absolutely NOT BE.

In writing this post, I have come to a final opinion on this "dilemma" of mine. From here forward, I will attempt to write all my recipes with the following three aspects:
  1. Volumes of produce will be written as 1/2 onion, 5 carrots or one head of broccoli as often as possible (rather than 3/4 cup onion, 1 1/2 cups carrots and 2 cups broccoli-even I am never sure exactly how many carrots equals 1 1/2 cups.)
  2. In traditional fashion, I will include how those veggies are to be prepared on the ingredient list-diced, chopped, peeled etc. (This will allow those who pre-chop, to continue to do so)
  3. As often as possible I will include the prep-work in the recipe directions so one can dive right into making the recipe without needing to worry about first taking care of vegetable readiness. That way the information will be there for those who need it and can be ignored by those who don't need it.*
Despite this "final" opinion on the matter, I welcome recipe user feedback on how my recipes are reading now and as this blog moves forward. My primary purpose is to make it easy to share the joys of my kitchen with yours and, if there is something I can to do make that easier, I'm all for it.

* On a side note, pre-chopping all the veggies before even starting to cook can sometimes be easier than following directions on prep-work. This of course depends on the person and the meal. For me, especially when using recipes that don't list prep-work in the directions, pre-chopping will almost always guarantee I don't screw it up...it does create a few more dirty dishes and requires a little more foresight to implement than I seem to have sometimes...but, when used successfully, it does reduce cooking stress/anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment